Buckley Sandler Webcast: The Community Reinvestment Act of 1977 - Examination Trends and Regulatory Developments
Buckley Sandler attorneys Warren Traiger, Jeff Naimon, and Kari Hall held a discussion designed to assist in-house legal and compliance staff in understanding regulatory developments and preparing for Community Reinvestment Act (CRA) examinations. The webcast featured remarks from Warren Traiger, a nationally recognized expert on the CRA, who argued before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit in a benchmark case regarding the rights of community organizations to challenge Federal Reserve Board determinations on merger applications, testified before Congress and the federal banking agencies on CRA reform, and served as Special Counsel to the New York Banking Department on CRA.
Warren was joined by Jeff Naimon and Kari Hall. Jeff has been recognized by Chambers USA as “one of the most knowledgeable lawyers in the country” with regards to fair lending issues and works with clients to develop compliance programs and respond to examinations from state and federal agencies on the panoply of fair lending laws. Kari counsels financial services clients on a variety of regulatory compliance and risk management matters, with particular focus on the CRA, fair lending and servicing, and UDAAP. They discussed the following topics:
- New CRA Regulatory Guidance
- It’s not just about branches: Recognition of alternative delivery mechanisms under the Service Test
- Alternatives to payday lending: Use of non-traditional credit histories and small-dollar loan programs for LMI individuals
- Extra credit: Clarification of which activities are deemed “innovative” and “responsive”
- Serving essential community needs: More on meaning of “community development”
- Examination Trends
- Tougher grading, more downgrades
- Increased importance to CRA rating of FHA, ECOA, and UDAAP compliance
- Assessment of non-traditional banks
- 40 Years of CRA—What’s Next?
- Revised approach to assessment area delineation
- Impact of new HMDA Rule
When: Thursday, November 3, 2016 from 2:00 to 3:00 pm ET
Who Should Attend: This webcast will be of particular interest to bank CRA Officers, as well as in-house legal, compliance, operations and risk management professionals.
About Buckley Sandler
With more than 150 lawyers in Washington, DC, Los Angeles, New York, Chicago, and London, Buckley Sandler LLP offers premier enforcement, litigation, compliance, regulatory, and transactional services to financial services institutions, as well as leading and early stage companies, joint ventures, private equity funds, and individual clients throughout the world. "The best at what they do in the country." (Chambers USA)