At Buckley we are well known for three key areas of focus — financial services, government enforcement, and litigation. In addition, we have extensive capabilities in transactional work, fintech, and financial crimes.
As a result, our attorneys work on matters that are front page news for clients that are “front page” companies. Our clients include 21 of the 25 largest consumer banks in the U.S., as well as top card issuers, mortgage and auto lenders, and loan servicers. We also represent numerous community and regional banks, fintech companies, and investors, including private equity, venture capital, and joint venture firms.
And you really will work on these matters. Our newest associates work right alongside our most senior partners on many key projects, allowing you to develop skills and capabilities much earlier than your peers at other firms.
Whether you are a junior attorney looking to gain a high level of experience early on, or a more senior practitioner seeking to join a team of true leaders in their fields, we invite you to apply for one of our open positions or to otherwise share your expertise with us.
At this time we are no longer accepting applications for 2023 summer associates. Please check back next year for our 2024 summer associate program.
Our firm was founded by lawyers who received their training at Big Law firms but sought to establish their own firm and culture. As a result, Buckley is committed to:
- Maintaining our small firm culture and an expectation of 1,800 billable hours annually, while providing resources, compensation, and benefits on par with much larger firms
- Empowering our lawyers to contribute to a better, more just society by counting all pro bono hours as billable, along with up to 50 hours of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion-related work such as training, mentoring, and recruiting
- Providing greater opportunities both for partnership and for other non-traditional career paths than many Big Law firms
- Involving associates and counsel in leadership and development roles with respect to both client matters and firm operations
Some of the perks of working at Buckley include:
- Compensation that is competitive with Big Law, including bonuses and 401(k) contributions
- Up to 18 weeks paid parental leave
- Back-up childcare, including in-home as well as center-based options
- Medical/Dental/Vision Coverage
- Life Insurance
- Long Term Care Insurance
- 401K Savings Plan
- Short and Long Term Disability
- Birth/Adoption/Paternity Leave
- Transportation Flexible Spending Programs
- Health Care and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Programs
- Discretionary Leave
- Paid Firm Holidays
- Employee Assistance Program
- Wellness Program
- Health Advocate
- Business Casual Dress Policy
- Referral Program
We do not have a fixed ratio of partners to non-partners and have a remarkable rate of promotion for a firm our size. Our firm includes a number of career counsel, part-time attorneys, and attorneys working from remote locations, and we are open to other non-traditional career paths, which we believe are beneficial to our attorneys and the clients we serve.
Our hiring is not based on a traditional law firm hiring cycle or model, nor do we do traditional law school recruiting. We do, however, encourage you to share your background and capabilities with us since our needs are continually developing, and you may help us to identify a need that we have not yet formally identified on our website.
We strongly believe that attorney training does not begin and end with law school. That is why we have developed an approach that focuses on our attorneys' professional development needs as they advance in their careers. Buckley University is the firm’s venue for offering in-house training throughout the year on a "semester system" that incorporates core skills, advanced skills, professional development, "hot topics," and business development programs. These programs emphasize development in our main practice areas so you gain practical skills, best practices, and resources to put to use as soon as you return to your desk.
There is something for everyone seeking to advance their skills and knowledge base:
- Core Skills: Both practice area specific and general legal skills training for our newer attorneys (or those new to the financial services industry)
- Advanced Skills: Practice area specific and general legal skills training for our more senior attorneys
- Business Development: Geared towards any attorney interested in business generation
- Hot Topics: For all of our attorneys to keep abreast of recent trends and topics in the financial services industry and in the other areas of in which we practice
- Professional Development: Various topics for all audiences
With so much talent within the firm, many of these programs are taught by our partners, counsel, associates, and staff who are subject matter experts. Many of these sessions are taught in whole or in part by associates, providing them with the opportunity to hone their presentation skills for future client pitches and industry speeches. However, we also bring in outside instructors for move extensive sessions on topics like writing, negotiations, management and leadership.
We also have an in-depth, multi-day Next Level Leadership Forum for our senior associates and counsel, which includes a series of leadership luncheons for the women counsel and associates participating in the Leadership Forum, as well as our women partners.
Additionally, we have partnered with West LegalEdcenter for online CLE and a variety of other attorney development courses. Our professional development staff highlight upcoming financial services programming each month, and in particular during our "semester breaks," in order for attorneys to meet their CLE requirements and supplement our in-house programs.
A special note for judicial law clerks – Many of our attorneys have held judicial clerkships, and we believe that this experience has been key to the success and growth that our firm has achieved. To show how much Buckley values the clerkship experience, we offer a $75,000 clerkship bonus for federal appellate and district court clerks.