Diversity & Inclusion
A Commitment to Our Professionals and Our Clients
Buckley’s commitment to diversity and inclusion is rooted in the belief that each individual’s unique background contributes a distinct and valuable perspective to our working environment, enriching the day-to-day experience of our professionals, and enabling us to better serve our clients. We strive to ensure broad-based diversity within the firm by focusing on recruiting, retaining, and promoting professionals with diverse backgrounds.
Converting Our Commitment into Action
Buckley’s Diversity Committee, chaired by partner Jonice Gray Tucker, is charged with providing strategic guidance relative to the firm’s mission of ensuring that we are appropriately diverse and inclusive with respect to culture and individual professionals. Over the years, Buckley has been recognized for its diversity and inclusion efforts, including:
- Achieving Mansfield Certification status for 2021
- Earning a perfect score for the sixth consecutive year in 2021 on the Human Rights Campaign Foundation’s Corporate Equality Index, a national benchmarking survey reporting on corporate policies and practices related to LGBT workplace equality
- Being ranked by the American Lawyer’s Diversity Scorecard for the past six years
- Being ranked the #3 Best Law Firm for Women in the 2019 Vault Rankings
- Receiving the Leadership Council on Legal Diversity Council Compass Award the last three years
The Diversity Committee is instrumental in driving initiatives that are critical to recruiting diverse attorneys and fostering the professional development of attorneys with the firm.
The firm sponsors and participates in numerous legal affinity organizations, including:
- Legal Council for Legal Diversity - Firm attorneys have been nominated for and participated in the Fellows Program and the Pathways Program, both of which are designed to foster the professional growth of diverse attorneys. The firm also participates in the 1L Scholars Program, through which it hires diverse 1L students for summer associate positions
- Out Leadership - The firm is a member of Out Leadership, a network of business leaders who work within firms across an array of industries to promote LGBT equality, create business opportunities, and cultivate emerging leaders
- The DC Roadshow - The firm is a proud sponsor of and participant in the DC Roadshow, through which attorneys practicing at law firms deliver career development seminars for African American students at law schools nationwide
In addition, many of our lawyers have taken on leadership roles or otherwise have been active in legal professional organizations that foster networking and interaction among members of diverse groups. These include:
- The National Bar Association (which serves African American attorneys)
- The South Asian Bar Association
- The National LGBT Bar Association
- Women in Housing and Finance
- Corporate Counsel Women of Color
- Diverse Partner Network
- Minority Corporate Counsel Association
Buckley is a longstanding sponsor of conferences, fundraisers, and other programs run by these organizations and many others.