Subscribe to our FinCrimes Update for news about the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and related prosecutions and enforcement actions.
According to an August 9, 2016 news report, six former and current executives of Novartis Korea have been indicted by prosecutors in Seoul for alleged corruption involving payments to physicians intended to boost sales. The news report stated that the officials are alleged to have made payments to the physicians totaling $2.3 million from 2011 to present. Several doctors and publishers of medical journals involved in the payments were also indicted according to the news report.
In March 2016, a different division of the Switzerland-based pharmaceutical company entered into a settlement with the SEC to resolve alleged violations of the FCPA’s book and records and internal controls provisions related to activities in China. Prior FCPA Scorecard coverage of the Novartis AG settlement can be found here. In the past few years, several other pharmaceutical companies have also faced corruption allegations regarding allegedly corrupt payments to employees of Chinese state-owned hospitals. Prior FCPA Scorecard coverage of those investigations can be found here.
- The SEC charged Diageo PLC, one of the worlds largest producers of premium alcoholic beverages, with widespread FCPA violations for more than six years of actions in India, Thailand, and South Korea.
- Sherry-Maria Safchuk to speak on the "California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) Workshop" panel at the California Mortgage Banker's 2019 Legal Issues & Regulatory Compliance Conference
- Jon David D. Langlois to discuss "Legal and operational considerations" at the Mortgage Bankers Association's Whole Loan Trading Workshop
- Daniel P. Stipano to discuss “Connecting the dots on your CDD program” at the ABA/ABA Financial Crimes Enforcement Conference
- Daniel P. Stipano to discuss “Beneficial Ownership: You have questions – We have quick answers” at the ABA/ABA Financial Crimes Enforcement Conference
- Daniel P. Stipano to discuss "Risk management in enforcement actions: Managing risk or micromanaging it" at an American Bar Association webinar
- Kari K. Hall and Christopher M. Walczyszyn to speak on the "Understanding updates to Regulation CC to ensure effective check processing" at a National Association of Federal Credit Unions webinar