Subscribe to our FinCrimes Update for news about the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and related prosecutions and enforcement actions.
In a February 9, 2015 securities filing, generic drug manufacturer Teva Pharmaceuticals disclosed that in the course of its internal investigation into business practices in various locations around the world, it had discovered certain practices in Russia, Europe, and Latin America that "likely" constitute violations of the FCPA. Teva had previously disclosed in 2012 that it received subpoenas and document requests from the SEC and the DOJ relating to the Company's FCPA compliance in certain countries. Teva had also disclosed at that time that it was conducting an internal investigation into its FCPA-related compliance practice around the world. During the course of the investigation, Teva reported that its affiliates in certain countries under investigation had provided "inaccurate or altered information relating to marketing or promotional practices" to local authorities, and that it had brought such issues to the attention of U.S. authorities. The SEC and DOJ's investigations appear to be ongoing.
On March 14, 2012, aircraft maintenance, repair and overhaul ("MRO") provider, BizJet International Sales and Support, Inc., resolved an FCPA matter with the US DOJ related to conduct in Latin America, including Mexico and Panama. The deferred-prosecution agreement calls for an $11.8 million penalty. BizJet is an indirect subsidiary of the German company, Lufthansa Technik AG, which also entered a DPA.
- Sherry-Maria Safchuk to discuss UDAAP at an American Bar Association webinar
- Jeffrey P. Naimon to discuss "What to expect: The new administration and regulatory changes" at the Mortgage Bankers Association Legal Issues and Regulatory Compliance Conference
- Jonice Gray Tucker to discuss “The future of fair lending” at the Mortgage Bankers Association Legal Issues and Regulatory Compliance Conference
- Steven R. vonBerg to discuss "LO comp challenges" at the Mortgage Bankers Association Legal Issues and Regulatory Compliance Conference
- Michelle L. Rogers to discuss "Major litigation" at the Mortgage Bankers Association Legal Issues and Regulatory Compliance Conference
- Michelle L. Rogers to discuss “The False Claims Act today” at the Federal Bar Association Qui Tam Section Roundtable