Subscribe to our InfoBytes Blog weekly newsletter and other publications for news affecting the financial services industry.
Senate Judiciary Tech Subcommittee to Hold Hearing on Data Breach; New Credit Reporting Agency CEO Speaks Out
On September 27, interim CEO, Paulino do Rego Barros Jr., spoke out for the first time since a major credit reporting agency (agency) appointed him to the role the previous day. In addition to issuing an apology, Barros stated that the agency is extending the deadline to sign up for their credit monitoring services and free credit freezes through the end of January 2018. He also made the commitment that by January 31, the agency will offer a new service for consumers to control access to their personal credit data. As previously reported in InfoBytes, the agency is still in the process of responding to the data breach that impacted approximately 143 million U.S. consumers.
On October 4, the Senate Judiciary Subcommittee on Privacy, Technology and the Law will hold a hearing on the agency’s data breach to continue to monitor data-broker cybersecurity. The hearing is scheduled for 2:30 pm in the Dirksen Senate Office Building 226.
- Jonice Gray Tucker to moderate “Pandemic relief response and lasting impacts on access, credit, banking, and equality” at the American Bar Association Business Law Section Spring Meeting
- Jeffrey P. Naimon to discuss "Post-pandemic CFPB exam preparation" at the Mortgage Bankers Association Spring Conference & Expo
- Jonice Gray Tucker to discuss "Making fair lending work for you" at the Mortgage Bankers Association Spring Conference & Expo
- Jonice Gray Tucker to discuss "Reading the tea leaves of President Biden’s initial financial appointees" at LendIt Fintech
- Moorari K. Shah to discuss “CA, NY, federal licensing and disclosure” at the Equipment Leasing & Finance Association Legal Forum
- Jonice Gray Tucker to discuss "Compliance under Biden" at the WSJ Risk & Compliance Forum
- Sherry-Maria Safchuk to discuss UDAAP at an American Bar Association webinar
- Jonice Gray Tucker to discuss “The future of fair lending” at the Mortgage Bankers Association Legal Issues and Regulatory Compliance Conference