Aaron Mahler has established himself as a valued counselor for financial services companies and individuals navigating government enforcement, litigation, and regulatory matters. A Partner in the Washington, D.C., office of Buckley LLP, he focuses much of his practice on representing bank and nonbank financial institutions in government examinations, investigations, and enforcement actions.
Mr. Mahler regularly counsels clients on issues dealing with intersecting business and compliance considerations, where he develops practical solutions to defend clients against regulatory investigations and actions, including those involving the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB), state attorneys general, Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC), Department of Justice (DOJ), and the Federal Reserve, as well as in cases involving unfair, deceptive, or abusive acts or practices (UDAAP), the Fair Debt Collections Practices Act (FDCPA), the Equal Credit Opportunity Act (ECOA), Fair Housing Act (FHA), and the Financial Institutions Reform, Recovery, and Enforcement Act (FIRREA).
Mr. Mahler’s work includes the representation of:
- Numerous banks and nonbanks in CFPB examinations, investigations, and enforcement actions relating to business lines which include mortgage origination and servicing, student lending and servicing, deposit products, and auto finance
- A large lender, with numerous affiliates performing related services, in parallel investigations by several federal government agencies and a large group of state attorneys general
- Large national bank in a CFPB investigation regarding compliance with the Electronic Funds Transfer Act (EFTA) and Regulation E
- Several banks and nonbanks in fair lending investigations initiated by the DOJ, FDIC, and CFPB
- Former directors and officers with respect to regulatory proceedings and litigation involving troubled and failed financial institutions
- Participants in the student loan industry in investigations initiated by the CFPB, including matters closed without further action
- Bankruptcy trustees in special investigations and disputes with the FDIC over the ownership of certain assets, including tax refunds
Before joining Buckley, Mr. Mahler clerked for the Honorable Karen LeCraft Henderson of the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit, and for the Honorable Daniel A. Barker of the Arizona State Court of Appeals. He was also an Associate with Hogan & Hartson LLP in Washington, D.C.
Mr. Mahler received his J.D. from the University of Virginia and his B.A. from Brigham Young University.
Buckley Sandler LLP hosted its second annual CFPB Today conference in Washington, DC October 25-26, 2015. The two-day event featured an evening of interactive roundtable discussions on CFPB trends, followed by a full day of seminars and breakout sessions. The roundtables and seminars were led by...Press Releases
New partners Melissa Klimkiewicz, Jon David D. Langlois, Aaron Mahler, Adam Miller, and Ross Morrison were noted in Law360's article, "Law360 Names Attorneys Who Moved Up the Firm Ranks in Q2," on July 10, 2015. Click here to view the article at www.law360.com (subscription required).In The News
“Why me?” It’s a common refrain whenever something bad happens. It’s also one of the first questions companies ask when finding themselves on the receiving end of a civil investigative demand from the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. The logical place to look should be the notification of...Articles
From presidential town halls to the local college dining hall, issues related to student lending have become the talk of the nation. According to recent estimates, over 41 million Americans owe more than $1.2 trillion in student loan debt, second only to mortgage loan debt. A quarter of these...Articles
In 2015, the CFPB further expanded its reach into debt collection through a number of enforcement actions. The CFPB also continues to conduct research on a potential rulemaking regarding debt collection activities, which may address information accuracy concerns involving debt sales and other...Articles
- J.D., University of Virginia, 2006 (Order of the Coif)
- B.A., Brigham Young University, 2003 (summa cum laude)
- District of Columbia
- Law Clerk, Hon. Karen LeCraft Henderson, U.S. Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit
- Law Clerk, Hon. Daniel A. Barker, Arizona Court of Appeals