Brian Wegrzyn is Counsel in the New York office of Buckley LLP. Mr. Wegrzyn represents corporate and individual clients in a variety of litigation and enforcement matters, including complex civil litigation and government enforcement matters.
Mr. Wegrzyn’s recent representations include:
- Multiple top mortgage lenders and servicers in False Claims Act and FIRREA investigations by the United States Department of Justice and United States Attorney’s Offices, including the representation of eight mortgage servicers in an FCA qui tam litigation in the Southern District of New York, which resulted in a dismissal with prejudice
- Multiple banks in putative class action lawsuits regarding overdraft and non-sufficient funds fees
- Multiple indirect auto finance companies in DOJ and state attorney general investigations into subprime auto loan origination and securitization practices
- A bank in successive DOJ and Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) investigations into payment processing practices, resulting in declinations by both agencies
- A university in state and federal court litigation brought by professors and students
- A mortgage lender in a Fair Housing Act (FHA) lawsuit in the United States District Court for the SDNY, resulting in an early, pre-discovery settlement
- A national financial services firm in a False Claims Act qui tam investigation by the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the SDNY, resulting in a declination by the government and voluntary dismissal by the relator
- A research university in a False Claims Act qui tam investigation relating to grant funding
- Multiple banks in connection with DOJ’s “Operation Choke Point” FIRREA investigation into payment processing, all resulting in declinations
- Multiple correspondent lenders in lawsuits brought by a liquidating trust of a bankrupt securitizer alleging breach of contract and indemnification based on purported defects in mortgage loans
Mr. Wegrzyn has served as an adjunct professor of law at Fordham University Law School. He is also a member of the firm’s Pro Bono Committee and has an active pro bono practice. Prior to joining Buckley, Mr. Wegrzyn was a litigation Associate at O’Melveny & Myers LLP. Before that, he clerked for the Honorable Richard J. Sullivan in the United States District Court, Southern District of New York, and was an associate with Winston & Strawn LLP.
Mr. Wegrzyn received his J.D. from Fordham University (magna cum laude, Order of the Coif) and his B.A. from the University of Illinois.
- J.D., Fordham University, 2009 (magna cum laude, Order of the Coif)
- B.A., University of Illinois, 1999
- New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Western District of New York
- Law Clerk, Hon. Richard J. Sullivan, U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York