Cierra D. Newman is an Associate in the Washington, D.C., office of Buckley LLP, where she assists clients in a wide range of regulatory, compliance, and privacy matters. She provides guidance to various financial services clients regarding potential regulatory risks arising from the Fair Credit Reporting Act, unfair or deceptive acts or practices, the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act, and various state data privacy regimes. She represents clients on a broad range of laws, including those enforced by the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency, state regulatory agencies, and state attorneys general.
Her representative matters include:
- Assisting public and emerging companies with developing privacy compliance programs that advance data-focused business objectives while mitigating regulatory and/or litigation risks and exposure under consumer financial protection laws, including the FCRA, the GLBA, the Equal Credit Opportunity Act (ECOA), and various consumer protection laws
- Representing clients at various stages of non-public resolutions through responses to Notice and Opportunity to Respond and Advise (NORA), civil investigative demands (CIDs), Part 4 requests, and requests for response (PARR) letters issued by the CFPB
- Providing enterprise-wide CFPB readiness reviews of data companies’ business lines, operations, and products to assess the level of potential risks to consumers and evaluate companies’ compliance management programs
- Performing advertising due diligence, including reviewing digital marketing collateral for financial institutions in order to determine potential UDAP and Truth in Lending Act (TILA)/Regulation Z risks associated with the marketing of certain financial products
Prior to joining Buckley, Ms. Newman was an Attorney Advisor for the Office of the Chief Counsel at the OCC, where she counseled national banks on issues related to fair lending, consumer protection, consumer product development, lending marketing strategies, and loan servicing. She also clerked for United States Senate Judiciary Committee. She received her J.D. from the University of Iowa (with honors) in 2018 and her B.A. from Queens University in 2011.
- J.D., University of Iowa, 2018
- B.A., Queens University, 2011
- District of Columbia
Law Clerk, United States Senate Judiciary Committee
Attorney Advisor, Office of the Chief Counsel, Office of the Comptroller of the Currency