Dana Walsh Kumar is an Associate in the New York office of Buckley LLP. Ms. Kumar represents corporate and individual clients in a variety of litigation and enforcement matters, including complex civil litigation, internal investigations, and government enforcement matters.
At the firm, Ms. Kumar handles litigations and investigations involving claims of fraud, breach of contract, unfair business practices, alleged violations of the False Claims Act (FCA), criminal laws, and employment discrimination and retaliation under federal and state laws, among others. Noteworthy matters include the representation of a:
- University in state and federal court litigation brought by professors and students
- Bank in a litigation involving breach of contract and tort claims, which resulted in the dismissal of the case by the district court and on appeal by the Second Circuit based on lack of personal jurisdiction
- University in a litigation involving employment discrimination and retaliation claims by an associate professor, including the successful denial by the district court of a preliminary injunction motion
- Bank in a litigation involving the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA)
- Large mortgage servicer in a putative nationwide class action regarding customer enrollment in home service and home warranty plans
Ms. Kumar has been recognized by Best Lawyers in America as “One to Watch.” Prior to joining Buckley, she clerked for the Honorable Cathy Seibel in the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York. Before clerking, Ms. Kumar was an Associate at Cahill, Gordon & Reindel, where she focused on enforcement and commercial litigation matters.
Ms. Kumar received her J.D. from Boston College (magna cum laude, Order of the Coif), where she served as an Articles Editor for the Boston College Law Review. During law school she interned for the Honorable Loretta A. Preska in the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York. She received her B.S. (magna cum laude) from Georgetown University.
"The role of State AGs in solving student loan crisis" by Sasha Leonhardt and Dana Walsh Kumar (Law360)
State attorneys general are the chief legal officers of their state; state attorneys general are the chief law enforcement officers of their state; and state attorneys general must protect their citizens and vigorously enforce their state’s consumer protection statutes. As broad as these powers and...Articles
Awards & Recognitions
- Best Lawyers One to Watch 2021: Commercial Litigation
- J.D., Boston College (magna cum laude, Order of the Coif)
- B.S., Georgetown University (magna cum laude)
- New Jersey
- New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- Law Clerk, Hon. Cathy Seibel, U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York