Fredrick S. Levin has over 25 years of experience representing individual and corporate clients in high-stakes class action and complex civil litigation throughout the country. Mr. Levin, a Partner in the Los Angeles office of Buckley LLP, spearheads the firm’s California Litigation practice, representing financial services industry clients in consumer class actions arising under federal consumer protection statutes and the unfair or deceptive acts or practices (UDAP) statutes of multiple states. Mr. Levin also regularly advises corporate clients on regulatory and compliance issues, and on the drafting and enforcement of consumer and commercial arbitration agreements and other alternative dispute resolution mechanisms.
In addition, Mr. Levin has represented corporate and individual clients in a wide array of national and transnational commercial disputes involving contract enforcement, corporate governance, debt collection, intellectual property, mergers and acquisitions, real estate, and securities. Mr. Levin also has an active appellate practice and has briefed and argued numerous cases in federal and state courts throughout the United States. Mr. Levin is also co-located in the firm’s Chicago office and practices regularly in Illinois and Michigan.
- Defense of multiple individual and putative class actions alleging violation of the Truth in Lending Act (TILA), the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA), the California Invasion of Privacy Act, the Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act (RESPA), the Equal Credit Opportunity Act (ECOA), the Fair Debt Collections Practices Act (FDCPA), the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), the Fair Housing Act (FHA), and state unfair and deceptive trade practices or acts statutes such as California Business & Professions Code § 17200, the Illinois Consumer Fraud Act, and New York Gen. Bus. Law § 349
- Defense of individual and class actions arising out of the mortgage foreclosure crisis including alleged improper imposition of lender-placed mortgage insurance
- Defense of numerous individual and class actions alleging violations of federal and state securities laws including defense of bank directors and officers
- Representation of banks and nonbanks in civil litigation or enforcement proceedings brought by state agencies such as the California Department of Business Oversight arising from alleged violation of licensing laws
- Representation of multiple bank defendants in suits by a successor to the largest private purchaser of mortgage loans, seeking damages and indemnification arising out of the sale of billions of dollars in mortgage loans into residential mortgage-backed securities (RMBS)
- Representation of individuals and business entities as plaintiffs or defendants in complex civil litigation including, among others, the representation of international clients seeking relief in California arising from international commercial loan defaults, bank-fraud, and money-laundering; defense of an international bank against claims under the federal Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations (RICO) statute; defense of an underwriter in a three-week $400 million securities fraud trial under California Blue Sky law; defense of an asset-based commercial lender in an $80 million lender-liability action; defense of a television station and its officers and directors in a $300 million breach of contract and fraud action; defense of a television network and a watch manufacturer in separate “reverse confusion” trademark infringement actions, and representation of the author and owner of a famous vodka brand in claims involving copyright, trademark and patent infringement
Mr. Levin is a frequent author and lecturer on litigation and compliance issues regarding the consumer financial services industry including on topics such as federal preemption under the Dodd-Frank Act, the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau's (CFPB) mortgage servicing rules, the CFPB’s proposed arbitration rule, residential mortgage backed securities litigation, management of multi-jurisdictional litigation, enforcement of jury trial waivers, the use of American discovery in support of foreign litigation, and damages measurement.
Mr. Levin received his J.D. from the University of Michigan and his A.B. from Princeton University.
WASHINGTON, DC (August 30, 2018) – Buckley Sandler and co-counsel Stein Mitchell Cipollone Beato & Missner won a major motion in its representation of Johnny Depp in a $30 million suit against his ex-lawyer. L.A. Superior Court Judge Terry Green ruled that a contingency-fee arrangement claimed by a former attorney was voidable by Depp.Press Releases
Fredrick S. Levin quoted in Law360 article, "'Extraordinary' $46M BofA award upends punitives formula"
Fredrick S. Levin was quoted on April 27, 2018 in a Law360 article, “'Extraordinary' $46M BofA award upends punitives formula,” which discussed Judge Christopher M. Klein’s judgment excoriating Bank of America and its executives for its mistreatment of a California couple, Erik and Renee Sundquist...In The News
WASHINGTON, DC (January 9, 2018) – Buckley Sandler LLP today announced the opening of an office in San Francisco, expanding the firm’s California presence to meet the demands of its growing base of fintech, regtech, and technology clients. The firm also has offices in Washington, D.C., Los Angeles...Press Releases
Andrew L. Sandler and Clinton R. Rockwell Quoted in American Lawyer Article, “Continuing Growth, Buckley Sandler Opens Office in San Francisco”
Andrew L. Sandler and Clinton R. Rockwell were quoted on January 9, 2018 in an American Lawyer article, “Continuing Growth, Buckley Sandler Opens Office in San Francisco,” which discussed the opening of the firm’s San Francisco office to support the firm’s growing fintech and regtech clients base...In The News
Fredrick S. Levin Quoted in HousingWire Article, “Vice President Pence Casts Tie-breaking Vote to Kill CFPB Arbitration Rule”
Fredrick S. Levin was quoted on October 25, 2017 in a HousingWire article, “Vice President Pence Casts Tie-breaking Vote to Kill CFPB Arbitration Rule,” which discussed the 51 to 50, tie breaking vote by Vice President Pence to revoke the CFPB’s new arbitration rule. The article stated, “The House...In The News
Fredrick S. Levin Quoted in Bloomberg BNA Article, “Calif. Consumers Win; But Big Arbitration Issue Lingers”
Fredrick S. Levin was quoted on April 17, 2017 in a Bloomberg BNA article, “Calif. Consumers Win; But Big Arbitration Issue Lingers.” The article discussed the recent California Supreme Court decision that stated companies can’t prevent individuals, through arbitration or contract requirements,...In The News
Fredrick S. Levin Quoted in American Banker Article, “California Supreme Court Limits Arbitration Waivers”
Fredrick S. Levin was quoted on April 7, 2017 in an American Banker article, “California Supreme Court Limits Arbitration Waivers.” The article discussed the unanimous decision by the California Supreme Court, which found that an arbitration agreement that waives a plaintiff’s right to pursue...In The News
Fredrick S. Levin Quoted in Courthouse News Service Article, “California High Court Guts Credit-Card Arbitration Clause”
Fredrick S. Levin was quoted on April 6, 2017 in a Courthouse News Service article, “California High Court Guts Credit-Card Arbitration Clause.” The article discussed the unanimous ruling by the California Supreme Court to overturn a decision that found an arbitration agreement that waives the...In The News
Buckley Sandler successfully defended AS Citadele Banka (Citadele), a Latvian bank, and its CEO, Guntis Beļavskis, in a matter involving allegations of RICO violations and fraud. The plaintiffs – international real estate developers – alleged in federal district court in the Central District of...Announcements
Fredrick Levin Quoted in Los Angeles Times Article, "California High Court Opens Door to Wrongful Foreclosure Suits"
Fredrick Levin was quoted in Andrew Khouri's Los Angeles Times article, "California High Court Opens Door to Wrongful Foreclosure Suits," on March 2, 2016. During the bust that followed last decade's housing boom, hundreds of thousands of Californians lost their homes to foreclosure. It was a...In The News
Fredrick Levin Quoted in Mortgage News Daily Article, "Legal News Impacting Lenders and Capital Markets'Not in a Good Way"
Fredrick Levin was quoted in Rob Chrisman's Mortgage News Daily article, "Legal News Impacting Lenders and Capital Markets—Not in a Good Way," on Monday, February 22, 2016. In California (known for its fruits & nuts) late last week the California Supreme Court rendered its decision in Yvanova...In The News
Fredrick Levin Quoted in Bloomberg BNA Article, "California Ruling Seen Boosting Foreclosure Challenges"
Fredrick Levin was quoted in Chris Bruce's Bloomberg BNA article, "California Ruling Seen Boosting Foreclosure Challenges," on February 19, 2016. The California Supreme Court on Feb. 18 said a borrower in a nonjudicial foreclosure has standing to allege wrongful foreclosure, raising the potential...In The News
Fredrick Levin Quoted in American Banker Article, "Calif. Supreme Court Lets Borrowers Challenge Wrongful Foreclosures"
Fredrick Levin was quoted in Kate Berry's American Banker article, "Calif. Supreme Court Lets Borrowers Challenge Wrongful Foreclosures," on February 18, 2016. The California Supreme Court on Thursday ruled that borrowers may challenge a wrongful foreclosure on the grounds that the assignment of...In The News
Fredrick Levin Quoted in Law360 Article, "Calif. High Court Revives Borrower's Suit In Foreclosure Row"
Fredrick Levin was quoted in Kurt Orzeck's Law360 article, "Calif. High COurt Revives Borrower's Suit in Foreclosure Row," on February 18, 2016. The California Supreme Court on Thursday revived a homeowner’s lawsuit against New Century Mortgage, Ocwen Loan Servicing and others over her foreclosure...In The News
Fredrick Levin Quoted in Law360 Article, "Morgan Stanley, Deutsche Target Force-Placed Class Action"
Fredrick Levin was quoted in Daniel Siegal's Law360 article "Morgan Stanley, Deutsche Target Force-Placed Class Action" on September 29, 2014. At a hearing in Los Angeles, Fredrick S. Levin of Buckley Sandler LLP, representing Deutsche Bank and Ocwen Loan Servicing LLC, urged U.S. District Judge...In The News
Stop us if you've heard this one before. A young actor, talented but unknown, is trying to break into the business. She is introduced to an entertainment lawyer who tells her he'll handle all of her modest legal work for "free" on the front end, and take a cut of whatever income she eventually...Articles
Fredrick S. Levin Authored a Law360 Article, "2 Litigation Trends Offer Guidance On TCPA Compliance"
$76 million, $14.8 million, $12 million and $3.7 million. These numbers represent some of the Telephone Consumer Protection Act settlement agreements negotiated in 2017. As shown by these numbers, TCPA litigation continues to be a leading litigation risk for corporate America. Recently, several...Articles
On May 16, the United States Supreme Court issued an opinion vacating the Ninth Circuit’s 2014 ruling that a plaintiff had standing under Article III of the Constitution to sue an alleged consumer reporting agency as defined by the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), for alleged procedural violations...Articles
In the 1960s and early 1970s, in response to concerns that the Federal Trade Commission had failed to adequately enforce the FTC Act’s prohibition of “unfair and deceptive trade practices,” numerous states passed consumer protection laws. Many of these state statutes were modeled on the FTC Act and...Articles
Fredrick Levin and Amanda Raines Lawrence authored "Recent Developments in Residential Mortgage Backed Securities Litigation," which was published in the Spring 2016 issues of the American Bar Association's Business Lawyer. Originally published on www.americanbar.org. Reposted with permission.Articles
Spotlight Article: California Supreme Court Holds that Borrowers Have Standing to Challenge an Allegedly Void Assignment of the Note and Deed of Trust in an Action for Wrongful Foreclosure
Yesterday, the California Supreme Court held in Yvanova v. New Century Mortgage Corp , Case No. S218973 (Cal. Sup. Ct. February 18, 2016) that borrowers have standing to challenge an allegedly void assignment of a note and deed of trust in an action for wrongful foreclosure. In reaching this...Articles
The fifth edition of the Practising Law Institute’s Consumer Financial Services Answer Book was published this month, with 29 Buckley Sandler attorneys contributing to this leading desk reference. The 2016 edition of the Consumer Financial Services Answer Book continues to provide practitioners...Articles
Buckley Sandler lawyers played a prominent role in the publication of this leading desk reference on consumer financial services, published by the Practising Law Institute. The 2015 edition of this publication continues to provide practitioners with a core understanding of the laws governing...Articles
- J.D., University of Michigan
- A.B., Princeton University (cum laude)
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Michigan
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- American Jewish Committee, Los Angeles Chapter, President, April 2008-2011
- Darfur Task Force, Chair, 2006-2008
- Shalom Comay Fellow, 2006-2007
- Blaustein Institute, 2006
- Jewish Federation of Los Angeles, Executive Committee-Legal Division, 2005-2007
- Legal Division Dinner, Chair, 2006
- LA Couples Young Leadership Program, Co-chair, 2004-2006
- American Bar Association, Litigation Section, Committee on Class Actions & Derivative Suits, Sub-Committee Chairman, 2005-2007
- California Bar Association
- Los Angeles County Bar Association