Garylene “Gage” Javier is a Regulatory Attorney in the Washington, D.C., office of Buckley LLP. She advises financial services clients in federal and state regulatory compliance matters. Her areas of focus include privacy and data security, workplace culture, and a variety of consumer protection issues. Additionally, Ms. Javier is currently pursuing the CIPP certification for Privacy Management and the European data protection laws, and also publishes articles related to privacy and data security.
Representative matters include:
- Advising on compliance with state laws and regulations relating to consumer lending, mortgage origination and servicing, and other consumer financial services
- Assisting clients with privacy and data security compliance involving HIPAA, CAN-SPAM, COPPA, Cal-OPPA, GDPR, CCPA, TCPA, FCRA, the Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act (GINA), N.Y. D.F.S. Cybersecurity Regulation, state breach notification and security laws, biometric privacy laws, and employment privacy laws
- Preparing multistate regulatory surveys and analysis for fintech entities including employee privacy, digital privacy, and business licensing
- Counseling on international supply chain requirements related to modern slavery and human trafficking
Ms. Javier is on the founding team of H.A.B.I.T. Advisors, which takes a new approach to workplace culture training. She is a training instructor for workplace compliance issues and has trained members and staff of state legislatures.
In addition to her regulatory practice, Ms. Javier is an active member of the firm’s pro bono program where she represents domestic violence and other clients in courts and before administrative agencies, and provides legal counsel related to small business formation and operation and issues impacting the elderly.
Prior to joining Buckley, Ms. Javier managed commercial and government contracts and international law enforcement training for an intelligence and security firm engaged in domestic and international government and private contracts.
Ms. Javier served on numerous boards for organizations including the National Filipino American Lawyers Association, the NFALA Foundation, the Filipino American Lawyers Association of D.C., the Women’s Bar Association of D.C., American Bar Association Young Lawyers Division, and American Bar Association Law Student Division. She is also the founder of the Diverse Bar Coalition initiative in DC.
Ms. Javier received her M.B.A. from Cornell University, her LL.M. from American University with a dual concentration in Intellectual Property and Criminal Law with a focus on computer crime, her J.D. from the Appalachian School of Law, and her B.S. from the University of California, Los Angeles.
"Navigating today’s biometric landscape" by Elizabeth E. McGinn, Scott T. Sakiyama, Magda Gathani, and Garylene D. Javier (Cybersecurity Law Report)
Biometrics-based authentication of payments and other transactions has been on the rise for the past several years, promising unparalleled convenience and security for consumers. However, the distinctive nature of biometric features that confers its advantages is also the source of the technology’s...Articles
- B.S., University of California
- J.D., Appalachian School of Law
- LL.M., American University
- M.B.A., Cornell University
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- Legal Assistant, Center for Health and Homeland Security, Maryland