Gordon Miller, a Senior Counsel in the Washington, D.C., office of Buckley LLP, brings more than three decades of banking regulatory experience in both the public and private sectors.
Mr. Miller has an extensive background in all aspects of banking regulation, including charter formation, operations, supervision, business transactions, mergers and acquisitions, and investments. He spent nine years in the Legal Division of the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System in Washington, D.C., where he drafted orders, regulations, legal interpretations, and supervisory guidance under the Bank Holding Company Act, Federal Reserve Act, International Banking Act, Bank Merger Act, Change in Bank Control Act, and other laws and regulations.
Mr. Miller focuses his practice on servicing the needs of banks, and investors in banks, with particular emphasis on domestic and cross-border regulatory, supervisory, and transactional matters. His work includes:
- Preparing complex applications and negotiating with federal and state regulators to obtain approval of special purpose banking charters, charter conversions, interstate branches, and offices of foreign banks
- Representing investors in control contests to obtain federal and state consent
- Counseling bank and nonbank investors on FDIC resolution procedures to help clients successfully bid for failed banks and failed bank assets
- Negotiating with the Federal Reserve and DOJ to overcome antitrust objections to acquisitions
- Advising U.S. and non-U.S. banks on commodity financing, custody of securities, transactions with affiliates, internal reorganizations, payment systems, and capital rules to help clients pursue new business opportunities
- Drafting proxy statements to obtain shareholder approval of federal assistance, settlement of correspondent bank creditor claims, and pre-packaged reorganization in bankruptcy
Before joining Buckley, Mr. Miller practiced with a number of leading law firms.
Mr. Miller received his J.D. from the University of Chicago and his A.B. from Stanford University.
WASHINGTON, DC (August 13, 2018) – Buckley Sandler LLP announced today that banking regulatory lawyer Gordon L. Miller has joined the firm as a Senior Counsel in its Washington, D.C., office. Miller brings more than three decades of public- and private-sector experience in bank regulation,...Press Releases
"Expect greater regulatory scrutiny of crypto-asset activities" by Kathryn L. Ryan, Gordon L. Miller, and Max Bonici (Law360)
In mid-August, the Federal Reserve issued guidance on crypto-asset and related activities, joining the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency and the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation in alerting their supervised entities that they must provide written notice before engaging in this space...Articles
- J.D., University of Chicago
- A.B., Stanford University
- District of Columbia
- Oklahoma (inactive)
- Texas (inactive)
Counsel, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System