Jedd R. Bellman, Senior Counsel in the Washington, D.C., office of Buckley, LLP, assists banks, mortgage companies, auto lenders, debt collectors, money services businesses, and fintechs on a variety of licensing, regulatory, and enforcement matters, bringing a wealth of consumer financial services experience gleaned from more than a decade in government service.
Most recently, Mr. Bellman was the Assistant Commissioner for Non-Depository Supervision in the Office of the Maryland Commissioner of Financial Regulation where he coordinated the licensing and supervision of approximately 23,000 individuals and business entities, covering the mortgage, student loan, consumer finance, sales finance, debt services, credit reporting, and money services industries. He was also responsible for coordinating the office’s regulatory investigations and enforcement actions, including playing a leadership role in every significant multistate enforcement matter handled by state regulators during his tenure. Additionally, Mr. Bellman managed numerous successful legislative and regulatory initiatives.
Prior to that, Mr. Bellman served as Counsel and Senior Policy Advisor at the U.S. House of Representatives where he developed policy and legislative agendas in the areas of housing and financial services, small business, and minority business.
Mr. Bellman also served as Assistant Attorney General for Maryland, where he handled mortgage fraud and payday lending enforcement prosecutions, as well as mortgage compliance, payday lending, and money services business investigations.
Mr. Bellman received his J.D. from the University of Michigan and his B.S. from Union College (magna cum laude). Following law school, he served as law clerk to Judge John K. Olson of the U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Southern District of Florida.
- Auto Finance
- Bank Counseling & Compliance
- Consumer Finance
- Consumer Financial Protection Bureau
- Credit, Debit & Prepaid Cards
- Debt Collection & Buying
- Enforcement Actions & Investigations
- Fair Lending and Fair Servicing
- Internal Investigations
- State Attorneys General
- Student Lending
- Unfair, Deceptive, or Abusive Acts or Practices
- Vendor Management
- J.D., University of Michigan, 2007
- B.S., Union College, 2003 (magna cum laude)
- Washington, D.C.
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
- Assistant Commissioner for Non-Depository Supervision, Office of the Maryland Commissioner of Financial Regulation
- Counsel and Senior Policy Advisor, U.S. House of Representatives
- Assistant Attorney General, Office of the Maryland Attorney General
- Law Clerk, Hon. John K. Olson U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Southern District of Florida
- Former President, North American Collection Agency Regulatory Association
- Former member, NMLS Policy Committee
- Former member, Multistate Mortgage Committee (MMC)
- Former member, Regulator-Industry Clearinghouse (convened to develop the Model MSB Law)