John P. Moynihan is an Associate in the Chicago office of Buckley LLP, where his practice focuses on complex civil litigation and white-collar defense. He has represented clients in state and federal court in cases involving consumer protection statutes as well as complex commercial disputes. His experience also includes representing clients in enforcement matters and investigations before state and federal agencies, including the Department of Justice (DOJ), the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), and the California Department of Financial Protection & Innovation (DFPI).
Mr. Moynihan’s recent representations include:
- Defending a bank in a putative class action regarding convenience fees, which resulted in dismissal of all claims
- Defending a bank in a putative class action alleging violations of the Truth in Lending Act (TILA) and the Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act (RESPA)
- Conducting an internal investigation, responding to SEC subpoenas, and negotiating a resolution related to potential FCPA matters in multiple countries
- Advising a former senior executive regarding DOJ’s request for an interview related to a potential FCPA matter
- Representing clients in enforcement actions and investigations brought by the California DFPI and Department of Real Estate (DRE)
He also maintains an active pro bono practice, which includes conducting investigations into prisoners’ claims of actual innocence and representing veterans who are appealing denials of their claims for benefits.
Prior to joining Buckley, Mr. Moynihan clerked for the Honorable Robert M. Dow, Jr. of the U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois. Before that, he was a litigation associate at Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom.
Mr. Moynihan is also an Adjunct Professor of Legal Writing at Loyola University School of Law and has been appointed to serve as a member of the Investigative Division of the Chicago Bar Association’s Judicial Evaluation Committee. He received his J.D. from University of Chicago, and his B.A. from Washington University (summa cum laude, Phi Betta Kappa).
- J.D., University of Chicago, 2015
- B.A., Washington University, 2012 (summa cum laude, Phi Betta Kappa)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois
Law Clerk, Hon. Robert M. Dow, Jr, U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois