Kari K. Hall counsels financial services companies on regulatory, compliance and enforcement matters, with a focus on consumer lending and retail banking.
As Partner in the Washington, D.C., office of Buckley LLP, Ms. Hall advises clients on a variety of regulatory compliance and risk management matters, including fair lending, fair servicing, disparate impact, redlining, unfair, deceptive, or abusive acts or practices (UDAAP)/unfair or deceptive acts or practices (UDAP), Community Reinvestment Act (CRA), Home Mortgage Disclosure Act (HMDA), deposit account, overdraft protection, and electronic fund transfer issues. Ms. Hall represents clients in internal reviews and investigations, as well as examinations, investigations and enforcement actions by the Department of Justice (DOJ), the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB), the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC), the Federal Reserve Board, the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC), the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), and state regulators.
Recent matters include:
- Advising a bank during multiple CFPB examinations, including responding to exam requests, Potential Action and Request for Response (PARR) letters, supervisory letters, and Civil Investigative Demands (CID)
- Performing a comprehensive CFPB readiness review across business and operational lines for a large nonbank auto and small dollar lender
- Negotiating the detailed requirements of and working with a bank and its settlement administrator to facilitate compliance with a large indirect auto settlement agreement
- Representing a large specialty mortgage lender with a multi-agency fair lending investigation and internal review
- Conducting an Electronic Fund Transfer Act and Regulation E review and risk assessment for a large on-line bank
Prior to joining Buckley, Ms. Hall was at an Am Law 200 firm, and Assistant Vice President and Counsel at Fifth Third Bank in Cincinnati, where she supported retail banking, retail operations, and bank protection as primary legal counsel.
Ms. Hall received her J.D. from the University of Cincinnati and her B.S. from Miami University.
Kari K. Hall extensively quoted in Law360 article, “10 years on, Dodd-Frank's compliance overhaul here to stay”
Kari K. Hall was extensively quoted on July 14, 2020 in a Law360 article, “10 years on, Dodd-Frank's compliance overhaul here to stay,” which discussed 10th anniversary of Dodd-Frank and the industry’s investment in their compliance and regulatory efforts, and the content management systems used to...In The News
WASHINGTON, DC (April 7, 2020) – Buckley LLP announced that Heidi M. Bauer, Kari K. Hall, H. Joshua Kotin, Susanna K. Sedrak, and Moorari K. Shah have been promoted from counsel to partner. "These five individuals consistently display outstanding legal skills and excellent judgment, and have earned...Press Releases
Buckley Sandler LLP hosted its eighth annual Fair Lending Today conference in Washington, DC on March 13-14, 2016. The two-day event featured an evening of interactive roundtable discussions on fair lending issues, followed by a full day of seminars. The sessions were led by Buckley Sandler...In The News
"Nevada spousal credit sharing may conflict with federal law" by Jonice Gray Tucker, Kari K. Hall, and Brendan Clegg (Law360)
In just a few weeks, lenders may face a challenging circumstance in evaluating applications for credit from some Nevada borrowers. Can lenders comply with a new Nevada law that allows applicants with no credit history to use their spouse’s credit history without violating the Equal Credit...Articles
On Oct. 15, 2015, the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (the CFPB or the Bureau) issued its long-awaited final rule amending and drastically expanding the mortgage loan application data reporting requirements under Regulation C and the Home Mortgage Disclosure Act (HMDA). Lenders that are...Articles
- Auto Finance
- Bank Counseling & Compliance
- Bank Secrecy Act/Anti-Money Laundering & Sanctions
- Consumer Finance
- Consumer Financial Protection Bureau
- Credit, Debit & Prepaid Cards
- Enforcement Actions & Investigations
- Fair Lending
- Private Banking
- Retail Banking
- Unfair, Deceptive, or Abusive Acts or Practices
- J.D., Cincinnati College of Law, 2003
- B.S., Miami University, 1996
- District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio