Kristopher R. Knabe is Counsel in the Chicago office of Buckley LLP. Mr. Knabe represents institutions in a wide range of litigation matters, including government enforcement actions, class action litigation, regulatory examinations, and internal investigations.
Mr. Knabe has represented clients in matters involving the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB); the Department of Justice (DOJ); federal and state bank regulators; the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD); and state attorneys general. He advises on compliance with various federal and state banking and consumer finance statutes, including the Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act (RESPA), Truth in Lending Act (TILA), Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), Equal Credit Opportunity Act (ECOA), Fair Housing Act, Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA), unfair or deceptive acts or practices (UDAP), unfair, deceptive, or abusive acts or practices (UDAAP), the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA), and various state laws. He also has extensive experience managing complex discovery and production issues.
In recent years, Mr. Knabe has:
- Advised institutions on managing regulatory examinations and responding to reports of examination, including examinations involving the CFPB
- Developed responses to CFPB pre-enforcement and enforcement matters, including advising on and responding to Proposed Action and Request for Response (PARR) and Notice and Opportunity to Respond and Advise (NORA) letters
- Conducted compliance and risk assessments for financial institutions, including with respect to entities offering mortgages and personal loans
- Advised clients on the implementation of major regulatory changes, including the CFPB’s Mortgage Servicing rules
- Defended institutions in multi-agency and multistate investigation and examination matters, including with various state regulators and state attorneys general, and other federal agencies
- Defended institutions in numerous CFPB enforcement matters, including investigation of mortgage servicing practices
Mr. Knabe received his J.D. from Loyola University Chicago School of Law and his B.A. from the George Washington University. During law school, he was a judicial extern for the Honorable Blanche Manning in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, and Editor-at-Large for the Loyola Law Journal.
Within the last 18 months, automotive industry participants have increasingly come under scrutiny from government regulators, including the CFPB, the Department of Justice, and state Attorneys General. On a parallel track, there has been a multi-year focus on the marketing, sale, and servicing of...Webcast
Chicago Bar Association Consumer Credit Committee: Considerations in Light of Jesinoski v. Countrywide
Kristopher Knabe spoke at the Chicago Bar Association's Consumer Credit Committee meeting on February 4, 2015. His presentation was titled, "Considerations in Light of Jesinoski v. Countrywide and Recent Developments in Telephone Consumer Protection Act cases.Speaking Engagement
WASHINGTON, D.C. (Jan. 2, 2019) – Buckley Sandler LLP today announced the promotion of four associates to counsel, effective Jan. 1, 2019. “We are pleased to recognize these four outstanding attorneys who have consistently provided excellent service on behalf of our clients,” said Co-Managing...Press Releases
Federal and state regulatory scrutiny of the automobile finance industry has accelerated over the last several months. The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB or the Bureau) and the Department of Justice (DOJ) recently announced the fourth public resolution with an indirect auto finance...Articles
The fifth edition of the Practising Law Institute’s Consumer Financial Services Answer Book was published this month, with 29 Buckley Sandler attorneys contributing to this leading desk reference. The 2016 edition of the Consumer Financial Services Answer Book continues to provide practitioners...Articles
Buckley Sandler lawyers played a prominent role in the publication of this leading desk reference on consumer financial services, published by the Practising Law Institute. The 2015 edition of this publication continues to provide practitioners with a core understanding of the laws governing...Articles
- J.D., Loyola University Chicago, 2011
- B.A., George Washington University, 2004
- District of Columbia