Leslie L. Meredith is Counsel in the Washington, D.C., office of Buckley LLP. Ms. Meredith represents corporate and individual clients in complex civil litigation and government investigations, with a particular emphasis on the financial services industry. She has experience representing clients before the Department of Justice (DOJ), the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB), state attorneys general, and in federal and state courts around the country. She also has extensive experience managing complex discovery issues, including through the use of advanced analytics.
Noteworthy work includes:
- Completed a six-month secondment at a large financial institution, working as a member of the private banking legal advisory group and the litigation department
- Represented Universal Entertainment Corp., a large Japanese gaming machine manufacturer, its subsidiary, Aruze USA, Inc., and CEO in FCPA-related litigation brought by Wynn Resorts Ltd., and in related parallel domestic and foreign enforcement actions. The case involves one of the first examples of a private party alleging FCPA violations as a method to gain the upper hand in a battle for corporate control, and resulted in a $2.6 billion settlement for clients UEC and Aruze USA, Inc. a month before trial
- Represented the Navajo Nation in a landmark lawsuit against the U.S. government. The Nation alleged that the U.S. had breached its fiduciary duties to the tribe by failing to properly manage, invest, and account for funds and resources the U.S. held in trust for the tribe. After many years of litigation involving facts, circumstances, and documents stretching back six decades, the firm secured a $554 million settlement on behalf of the tribe. It is the largest settlement obtained against the U.S. in any action by a single Native American tribe
- Defended lender-placed insurance providers in multiple putative class actions, as well as in investigations brought by the DOJ, Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), and state insurance regulators, including the New York State Department of Financial Services (NYDFS) and the Massachusetts Attorney General
Ms. Meredith received her J.D. from American University (cum laude) in 2011. During law school, she served as Editor-in-Chief of the American University Law Review. Ms. Meredith received her B.A. from Washington College (magna cum laude) in 2006.
WASHINGTON, D.C. (Jan. 2, 2020) – Buckley LLP today announced the promotion of three associates to counsel, effective Jan. 1, 2020. “These three attorneys have demonstrated outstanding commitment to the firm and have regularly delivered exemplary support for our clients,” said Benjamin B. Klubes,...Press Releases
"GDPR-based objections to U.S. discovery requests: 2019 year in review" by Leslie L. Meredith (Legaltech News)
U.S. civil litigants faced with an obligation to produce “personal data” protected by GDPR, the European Union’s General Data Protection Regulation, can find themselves on the horns of a serious dilemma. In 2019, the first full year since GDPR was enacted, not a single court excused compliance with...Articles
Preston Burton, Bree Murphy, and Leslie L. Meredith Authored a Business Crimes Bulletin Article, "The Arrival of Justice Gorsuch May Bring Opportunity to Reform the Collective Entity Doctrine"
A little over 100 years ago, the Supreme Court declined to extend the Fifth Amendment privilege against self-incrimination to corporations responding to grand jury subpoenas for documents, establishing what has been termed the “collective entity doctrine.” Hale v. Henkel, 201 U.S. 43, 74-76 (1906...Articles
The following article discusses recent, significant decisions on federal class action settlements. While not all inclusive, these cases may help practitioners avoid common (and some not-so-common) pitfalls when trying to reach a successful, lasting class action settlement. This article assumes that...Articles
Selecting the roster of your fantasy football team can be a maddening exercise. You could spend hours analyzing running backs’ carries per game, yards-per-carry averages, and weighing your pass protection concerns against injury risk. But, as they say, on any given Sunday anything can happen. Your...Articles
- J.D., American University, 2011 (cum laude)
- B.A., Washington College, 2006 (magna cum laude)
- District of Columbia
- New York