Margaux Curie is an Associate in the San Francisco office of Buckley LLP. Her practice focuses on advising cross-border and domestic payment companies and consumer financial services providers on licensing, regulatory, supervisory, compliance, and transactional matters.
Ms. Curie’s representations include:
- Assisting companies comply with federal and state consumer financial protection laws, including the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), Equal Credit Opportunity Act (ECOA), unfair or deceptive acts or practices (UDAP), unfair, deceptive, or abusive acts or practices (UDAAP), Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA), Electronic Fund Transfer Act (EFTA), and Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (GLBA)
- Determining the applicability of licensing requirements to specific activities or products, including federal and state money transmission registration/licensing requirements and related exemptions
- Providing support against regulatory enforcement exposure, including responding to a Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) civil investigative demand (CID) predicated upon violations of the FCRA and the FDCPA
- Offering guidance to financial institutions on the applicability and requirements of the Bank Secrecy Act (BSA) and anti-money laundering (AML) laws and regulations
- Conducting due diligence for banks, consumer financial services providers, and insuretech companies on a range of issues, including review of consumer complaints and investigation processes, consumer compliance management systems, internal policies and procedures, and BSA/AML compliance programs
Prior to joining Buckley, Ms. Curie was an Associate at White & Case LLP.
Ms. Curie received her J.D. from Drexel University (2017), her LL.M from the University of Pennsylvania Law School (2014), and her B.A. from McGill University (2010). She is a native French speaker and received a Master’s Degree in Banking and Financial Law from La Sorbonne Law School (2013) and a Master’s Degree in Business Law from Sciences Po Law School (IEP Paris) (2012).
- Bank Counseling & Compliance
- Bank Secrecy Act/Anti-Money Laundering & Sanctions
- Consumer Finance
- Consumer Financial Protection Bureau
- Debt Collection & Buying
- Fair Lending and Fair Servicing
- Privacy, Cyber Risk & Data Security
- Unfair, Deceptive, or Abusive Acts or Practices
- J.D., Drexel University, 2017
- LL.M, University of Pennsylvania, 2014
- Master’s Degree, La Sorbonne Law School, 2013
- Master’s Degree, Sciences Po Law School (IEP Paris), 2012
- B.A., McGill University, 2010
- New York