Melina W. Montellanos is an Associate in the Washington, D.C., office of Buckley LLP, where her practice focuses on state and federal regulatory compliance matters for a variety of financial services industry clients including financial institutions, mortgage lenders, services, and investors.
She advises clients on compliance with federal law and regulations in both deposits and payments and consumer lending, including the Truth in Savings Act (TISA), Electronic Fund Transfer Act (EFTA), Expedited Funds Availability Act, Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act (RESPA), Truth in Lending Act (TILA), Fair Housing Act (FHA), Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (GLBA), and Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). Ms. Montellanos also advises clients on state and federal licensing requirements.
Representative matters include:
- Updating multiple deposit account agreements, TISA disclosures, EFTA disclosures, online banking agreements, and other deposit-related disclosures and consumer-facing materials, including working with ESIGN-related issues
- Assisting with responses to a regulatory inquiry related to overdraft
- Conducting multi-state surveys of state licensing requirements and exemptions for purchasing, servicing, and holding mortgage servicing rights to residential mortgage loans and commercial mortgage loans
- Assisting clients in obtaining mortgage lender, broker, and servicer, and collection agency licenses and approvals
- Advising companies on privacy policies and notices regarding consumer financial information to ensure compliance with the GLBA, Regulation P, FCRA, and applicable state laws
- Reviewing compensation agreements for loan originators, branch managers, and other originating employees for compliance with the Loan Originator Compensation Rule under Regulation Z
- Advising mortgage lenders on anti-money-laundering (AML) internal reviews
Ms. Montellanos received her J.D. from Georgetown University in 2018, where she served on the Georgetown Technology Review. She received her B.B.A. from The University of Texas at Austin in 2015.
- J.D., Georgetown University, 2018
- B.B.A., The University of Texas, Austin, 2015
- District of Columbia