Meredith Leeson is an Associate in the Washington, D.C., office of Buckley LLP. Ms. Leeson has represented numerous corporations and C-suite individuals in a wide range of enforcement, regulation, and litigation matters involving the Department of Justice (DOJ), the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB), the Financial Crimes Enforcement Network (FinCEN), the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC), state attorneys generals, and others regarding alleged Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA), False Claims Act (FCA), Dodd-Frank, Sarbanes–Oxley Act (SOX), and Securities Exchange Act violations.
Noteworthy matters include representation of:
- The Navajo Nation in a landmark lawsuit against the U.S. government for breach of fiduciary obligations
- A large Japanese gaming company in FCPA-related litigation involving multi-billion dollar claims
- The CFO of a major pharmaceutical company in an SEC investigation into disclosure and accounting issues
- Volkswagen employees relating to the certification and sale of diesel engines in the United States
- A former publicly traded timber company CFO in connection with financial statement filings
- A private lending company in a civil lawsuit regarding the FDIA
- Nonbank mortgage lenders in CFPB investigations
Ms. Leeson previously served as a State Department Justice Advisor at the Kabul Embassy, covering anti-corruption and anti-money laundering efforts, as well as countering the financing of terrorism for the Bureau of International Narcotics and Law Enforcement. She was also a legal advisor at the Center for Health and Homeland Security where she advised government agencies, public health organizations, and law enforcement on the legal limitations and ramifications of their practices. Ms. Leeson began her professional career as a Certified Public Accountant conducting domestic and international audits and providing litigation consulting services. Prior to attending law school, Ms. Leeson worked at the Baghdad Embassy as a senior auditor in-charge with the Special Inspector General for Iraq Reconstruction where she reported on fraud, waste, and abuse to the United States Congress.
Ms. Leeson received her J.D. from University of Maryland (magna cum laude). She received her B.S. (magna cum laude) and M.S.B. (summa cum laude) from Stevenson University.
- J.D., University of Maryland, Baltimore, 2013 (magna cum laude)
- M.S.B., Stevenson University, 2005 (summa cum laude)
- B.S., Stevenson University, 2004 (magna cum laude)
- District of Columbia
- State Department Justice Advisor, Kabul Embassy