Rachel S. Li Wai Suen, Senior Counsel in the Washington, D.C., office of Buckley LLP, brings over 15 years of experience representing individual and corporate clients in white collar criminal cases, investigations and government civil enforcement matters. Her practice spans an array of criminal and civil matters, including alleged Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) violations, money laundering, antitrust, conspiracy, public corruption, and securities fraud. She also has handled congressional investigations, as well as multiple domestic and cross-border investigations across a wide range of industries.
Ms. Li Wai Suen’s recent matters include:
- Defending senior executives of an international consulting firm against fraud allegations asserted in complex civil litigation and investigations across the country
- Representing a senior executive of an international bank in a Department of Justice (DOJ) anti-corruption probe
- Representing a prominent witness in connection with the first impeachment trial of President Donald J. Trump and related congressional and DOJ inquiries
- Serving as part of a trial team representing a former government contracting firm executive in a jury trial in the Eastern District of Virginia on public corruption, conspiracy, and fraud charges where all defendants were found not guilty on all charges
- Serving as part of a trial team representing a client in a jury trial in the Southern District of New York on conspiracy and fraud offenses in connection with the municipal bond industry
- Representing key witnesses in civil litigation and criminal investigations relating to the Deepwater Horizon oil spill
Prior to joining Buckley, Ms. Li Wai Suen was counsel at boutique litigation firms in Washington, D.C. and an associate at an AmLaw 100 firm in New York. She also served as a Judicial Clerk for the Honorable John Major of the Supreme Court of Canada.
Ms. Li Wai Suen received her L.L.M. from Harvard Law School, where she was a Frank M. Knox Fellow. She received her LL.B. from Osgoode Hall Law School (Canada), where she was the Gold Medalist.
- LL.M., Harvard University
- LL.B., York University
- District of Columbia
- New York
Judicial Clerk, Hon. John Major, Supreme Court of Canada