Thomas Dowell, an Associate in the Washington, D.C., office of Buckley LLP, focuses much of his practice on representing bank and nonbank financial institutions in government examinations, investigations, and enforcement actions.
Mr. Dowell’s representations have included:
- Assisting numerous financial institutions in responding to examination requests, civil investigative demands, and subpoenas from federal and state regulators relating to a wide range of subject matter areas, including mortgage lending, mortgage servicing, credit card lending, ancillary credit products, credit reporting, payday lending, manufactured housing, and student lending
- Providing regulatory advice to financial institutions regarding state and federal consumer financial law, including, among other laws and regulations, the Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act (RESPA/Regulation X), Truth in Lending Act (TILA/Regulation Z), and Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA/Regulation V)
- Handling multiple phases of e-discovery for financial institutions, including interviewing document custodians, supervising onsite document collection, training and managing document review teams, preparing witnesses for depositions and interviews, defending witnesses at CFPB interviews, and producing documents to government regulators and third parties
- Conducting regulatory surveys for financial institutions relating to an array of issues, including licensing requirements and fee restrictions applicable to mortgage brokers, originators, and servicers
Mr. Dowell received his J.D. from the University of Virginia, where he was the Executive Editor of the Virginia Sports and Entertainment Law Journal, and his B.A. from Tulane University in 2005 (magna cum laude).
Super Lawyers is a rating service of outstanding lawyers from more than 70 practice areas who have attained a high degree of peer recognition and professional achievement. The selection process is multi-phased and includes independent research, peer nominations, and peer evaluations. We are proud...In The News
Awards & Recognitions
- Super Lawyers 2019 Rising Star: Consumer Law
- Super Lawyers 2018 Rising Star: Consumer Law
- Super Lawyers 2017 Rising Star: Consumer Law
- Super Lawyers 2016 Rising Star: Consumer Law