Veena Viswanatha, Partner in the Washington, D.C., office of Buckley LLP, represents corporate and individual clients in complex civil litigation and government investigations. She has represented clients in a wide variety of high-stakes litigation and investigations, including matters concerning alleged securities fraud, breaches of fiduciary duty and other shareholder disputes, and violations of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA).
Noteworthy work includes:
- Represent investment, advisory, and other firms, as well as their senior executives, in investigations before the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) and the Department of Justice (DOJ) concerning alleged violations of the FCPA and the securities laws.
- Represented Universal Entertainment Corp., a publicly-traded Japanese gaming manufacturer, in litigation brought by Wynn Resorts, Ltd. in Nevada state court. In 2012, when a Universal subsidiary was Wynn Resorts’ largest shareholder, Wynn Resorts forcibly redeemed Universal’s shares at a substantial discount to their market value, alleging that Universal and its now-former Chairman, Kazuo Okada, had bribed foreign government officials in violation of the FCPA and had breached their fiduciary duties to Wynn Resorts. After six years of litigation – during which the parties produced millions of documents, argued more than a dozen appeals and scores of motions, and took nearly 100 depositions – Wynn Resorts agreed to pay $2.6 billion to settle Universal’s claims one month before trial.
- Represented the Navajo Nation in a landmark lawsuit against the U.S. government. The Nation alleged that the U.S. had breached its fiduciary duties to the tribe by failing to properly manage, invest, and account for funds and resources the U.S. held in trust for the tribe. After many years of litigation involving facts, circumstances, and documents stretching back six decades, the firm secured a $554 million settlement on behalf of the tribe. It is the largest settlement obtained against the U.S. in any action by a single Native American tribe.
Prior to joining Buckley, Ms. Viswanatha was an Associate at Cravath, Swaine & Moore LLP.
Ms. Viswanatha received her J.D. from the University of Pennsylvania Law School in 2009 (cum laude). During law school, she interned for the Honorable Jerome Simandle in the United States District Court for the District of New Jersey. She also served as an Articles Editor for the University of Pennsylvania Law Review, and as an Arthur Littleton and H. Clayton Louderback Legal Writing Instructor. Ms. Viswanatha received her B.A. from Rutgers University in 2003 (magna cum laude).
“Buckley attorneys are incredibly responsive while providing top quality legal services,” is how respondents described the firm in the 2020 edition of Legal 500, which ranked Buckley as a top law firm and recognized it in six categories:
- Corporate Investigations and White ...
WASHINGTON, D.C. (Mar. 27, 2019) – Buckley LLP announced that Veena Viswanatha has been promoted from counsel to partner. Viswanatha represents corporate and individual clients in complex litigation and government investigations. Her work spans a wide variety of high-stakes litigation and...Press Releases
WASHINGTON, DC (January 9, 2017) – BuckleySandler LLP, a premier financial services, government enforcement, and litigation law firm, today announced the promotion of eight associates in four of its offices to counsel, and one of its regulatory attorneys to associate, effective January 1, 2017. “We...Press Releases
On Sept. 9, 2015, the Department of Justice (DOJ) issued a memorandum from Deputy Attorney General Sally Quillian Yates announcing that the DOJ would require a company to fully disclose all relevant facts about individuals responsible for the misconduct at issue in order to receive any cooperation...Articles
Part One of a Two-Part Article The United States is often criticized for trying to be the world’s policeman — for trying to prosecute wrongdoing all over the world, even when the connection to U.S. interests is, at best, tenuous. The Supreme Court has in recent years begun imposing limits on the...Articles
Awards & Recognitions
- Legal 500 2020: Corporate Investigations and White-collar Criminal Defense
- Super Lawyers 2020 Rising Star: Criminal Defense: White Collar
- Super Lawyers 2019 Rising Star: Criminal Defense: White Collar
- Lawyers of Color 2014 Hot List
- J.D., University of Pennsylvania, 2009 (cum laude)
- B.A., Rutgers University, 2003 (magna cum laude)
- District of Columbia
- New York
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York